The best way to handle particular automation projects is to have the programmable logic controller. Generally, you can handle various situations, especially the ones that require automation control.
It is an effective way to control numerous industrial applications by implementing both input and output devices. That is why you should program the control system so that you can handle the particular assignments.
You should know that the programmable logic controller requires the particular programming language that will help you deal with the operation you wanted in the first place.
When compared with previous automation methods that included relays and significant hardware, PLCs are compact and feature the ability to handle more complex assignments than before.
The programming languages vary based on your preference, and you can find the visual or textual ones. Remember that visuals are more convenient because they use a ladder diagram so that any engineer or electrician could easily transit and learn how to do it.
Ladder Logic Diagram
You need to remember even though it was accessible back in the day, especially in automation industries.
We have mentioned above that relay logic was used; however, it required plenty of applications and hardware, which was reason for the creation of programmable logic controllers.
Instead of handling numerous relays in significant industries, PLCs allowed greater flexibility and efficiency when it comes to controlling the automation processes.
The general idea was to implement systems that depend on microprocessors as well as software language that will resemble electric diagrams so that electricians and engineers could easily use and transition from the previous to the new approach.
You just have imagined two rails on the opposite sides when the first one acts as the power bus while the other operates as the ground bus.
Similarly, as in circuits, the power tends to flow through both closed and open contacts, and that particular process creates a potential inside the coil.
Remember that Boolean memory location (check here to understand the importance of this particular location) is vital for linking each coil with contact, which creates a wide array of parallel connections which are commonly known as series contacts that work like and.
The best way to get the maximal efficiency when it comes to this particular programming language is to read from left to right.
Ladder Logic Pros You Should Remember
- Effective Solution for Discrete Logic – Since this particular programming language is the perfect solution, you can learn in a matter of days, especially if you understand the electrical circuits. Therefore, you will be able to enjoy in discrete logic efficiency. Remember that you will get the original programming language, which is much more efficient than others you can use for programmable logic controllers.
- Perfect For Debugging Processes – The main idea is to remember that most debugging tools that you can find online use ladder logic so that you can achieve the maximum efficiency. When compared with other devices, you should know that it features live power flow, which means that you can easily understand both debug faults and diagram logic.
- Perfect Graphical Representation Based on Electrical Circuits – Since you will get both self-documenting and intuitive interface and language, you will be able to design anything without any additional problem. Of course, if you had experience in electrical circuits, you will be familiar with this particular environment. That will allow you to improve the overall learning process and start operating with it. Generally, it is one of the most popular solutions that you can choose, especially if you have previous experience with electrical circuits and schemes. If you are an engineer, plant technician, or electrician, you can quickly start learning it to boost your career and improve income flow, which will ultimately affect your future career.
Ladder Logic Cons You Should Remember
- Inability To Handle a Large Number Of Variables – When compared with other programming languages, ladder diagram can handle timers/counters and discrete values. On the other hand, it is compatible with complex operations that require function blocks. The main problem is that function blocks of outputs and inputs are not wired, but instead, they are considered as memory locations. Generally, that is effective for basic operations; however, implementing a large number of complex algorithms could lead to severe issues. Therefore, it is much better to use other programming languages for complicated operations.
- Logic Encapsulation and Hierarchical Data – The main problem with ladder logic is its inefficiency when it comes to handling and encapsulating the code which will enable you to use it afterward. In case you used only this particular programming language, you should know that most operations are highly significant and prolonged. Therefore, the process of editing, debugging, and coding is highly challenging even for experts. Another important consideration is that hierarchical programming requires modern designs, which means that advanced packages include function blocks and functions or widely recognized as ladder rungs. Instead of handling the encapsulation, you will be able to create program blocks as well as subroutines, so that you can compartmentalize the single program into various parts for more straightforward maintenance.
Inability To Execute Properly – Since the process includes the entirely different approach in which you should read from left to right, it means that you will increase the time required for executing and scanning a particular program. Even though technicians and electricians can easily understand this specific model, creating challenging and complicated applications is problematic.